[NAFEX] compost, peatmoss, and soil ph

Karen Tillou arboretum at homeorchardsociety.org
Sun Jan 27 13:16:19 EST 2008

i would use sawdust, or wood ash. all the commercial growers in the
willamette valley, oregon apply sawdust mulch every year for
increasing acidity and adding organic matter.  sand isn't going to do
squat.  leaf mulch might help, but it would have to be applied year
after year, with minor effect.  a pine/fir needle mulch might do
better than oak leaf even.

peaceful valley farm supply carries "tiger 90" an organic approved
sulfur product formulated for lowering pH.  remember sulfur overdoses
can be toxic.

karen tillou
oregon city, OR - zone 8a and wet