[NAFEX] compost, peatmoss, and soil ph

Jerrydana5 at aol.com Jerrydana5 at aol.com
Sat Jan 26 23:36:15 EST 2008

I have several blueberry bushes and am going to add several more this
spring. I have a ton of natural leaf compost from our yard leaves and can add  some
peat moss also for organic matter and to help bring ph down.  The soil  is
rich, but too acid--about 6.5 to 6.8 (probably due to adding a lot of  horse
manure mixed with horse urine.  I've had the soil tested and it is  very rich, but
not acid enough for blueberries.  Other plants due  well.)  The leaf compost
is from maple and oak leaves.  It is well  composted.
Which would be better to add to my soil for organic matter and to bring the
ph down into the proper range for blueberries?  Peatmoss or leaf  compost?  Or
both?  Possibly some sand, also?  THe blueberries I  have now are doing fair,
but not fantastic.  I am adding some sulfur also  the bring the ph down.
Jerry in southern Indiana

48)