[NAFEX] Introduction / Buffaloberry Inquiry

Robert Stanton robert.l.stanton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:35:16 EST 2008

Hello All,

I'm new to the list.

Currently, I live in Champaign, Illinois (USDA zone 5) and am
interested in berries and their possibilities in permaculture.  Last
year I planted a few of Purple-flowering Raspberry (Rubus odoratus),
elderberry (Sambucus canadensis), and red currant (Ribes rubrum).

This year, I'm considering planting Buffaloberry (Shepherdia
canadensis), as I found it referenced as a native plant used by the
native peoples that were once here on the prairie.  Does anyone have
any experience planting and caring for this species?  I'm curious to
know what its preferences and pitfalls are.

Thanks,
Robert