[NAFEX] Winter melons??

Diane Whitehead voltaire at islandnet.com
Tue Jan 15 12:45:33 EST 2008

Amy Goldman has written two books:  Melons for the Passionate Grower
(which I haven't seen) and The Compleat Squash, A Passionate Grower's
Guide to Pumpkins, Squashes, and Gourds (which I own).  The photos are
gorgeous.

If the melon book is like my squash book, it will give you all the
information you need.

Amy travels the world to find squash (and melons, also I presume).
She grows and tests them, and her book is honest about best uses.
Some of her best uses are :  livestock feed, decorative, jack-o'-
lanterns, table vegetable.  It is interesting to see how her comments
compare to those in seed catalogues.

I chose the ones she said taste the best, and my tastebuds agree with
hers.  My homegrown squash this year taste wonderful.   The best were
developed in Australia.  Now, isn't that odd?  Yet I was able to grow
them here in a cool maritime climate.

She also lists sources for seeds.

Diane Whitehead
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8, cool Mediterranean climate
mild rainy winters, mild dry summers