[NAFEX] Planting replacement trees in same site as failed trees

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue Aug 19 16:15:33 EDT 2008

Betsy,
I suppose that if the entire tree failed - rootstock and all - I
might be inclined not to replant the same species there, but if it
was just a problem of the graft dying out, but the rootstock was
re-sprouting vigorously, I wouldn't worry - but *I* would probably
just leave the established rootstock in place and re-graft it.

I've had a number of transplanted grafted nut trees lose the graft -
usually due to neglect/inadequate watering during the establishment
year.  I just let rootstock shoots grow for a couple of years and
stick a new piece of whatever pecan/hickory/walnut I'm pursuing
currently on top.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7