[NAFEX] Elephant Heart plum

Scott Smith scott at cs.jhu.edu
Fri Aug 15 15:57:57 EDT 2008

Alan, I am surprised you are not getting quality Satsumas.  I have
found they need a lot of hang time on the tree, to the point where
there is almost no green left and a very slight angled pull frees
them.  Harvested earlier they are not nearly as good.  I have been
very happy with them in my Maryland climate - they are at this point
my best plum, with a rich aromatic flavor that is hard to forget.  The
only drawback is they are a bit smaller, more like a Shiro in size.
They are a touch better than the Redhearts, which are also very good
and are larger. I have about given up on Elephant Heart due to all the
problems my tree has had with bacterial spot.  On your recommendation
I put in a Fortune this year and am hopeful it also likes my climate.

Scott