[NAFEX] Clove currants

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Wed Aug 13 11:48:35 EDT 2008

> I think if you let clove currant get thoroughly ripe, you might enjoy
> it. I really like the fruit. Then again, Crandall is not a clone, so
> there is some variation.

Thanks, Lee. I didn't realize that. I just assumed that 'Crandall' clove
currants were all clones. And note that this was the ONLY named cultivar
of clove currants I found when I was looking for plants. On the
Internet, there was considerable disagreement about whether or not clove
currants needed cross-pollination - and even whether or not there were
separate male and female plants - so I would have loved to find another
cultivar.

I ended up getting one seedling clove currant, instead, but the berries
are REALLY small. Then again, since they taste terrible, I guess I don't
care much about the berry size. :)

I'll keep trying them. Maybe I'll learn to like them,... eventually.

PS. Do they ripen once they're picked? I do have a hard time finding
completely ripe berries, since the birds get them pretty quickly. And
they don't seem to be worth netting.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The fundamentalists deny that evolution has taken place; they deny that
the earth and the universe as a whole are more than a few thousand years