[NAFEX] novice grower report.....rhubarb

Sheridan Shumway rattler_mt at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 22:12:49 EDT 2008

i cant give you much input as im a novice myself to most of what you have listed but i can give yah advose on the rhubarb.....quit moving it! it likes to be left alone and if you bought a small plant it takes a couple years to gain some size.....i have grown the stuff in the darn near 100% clay we have without issue...my grandmother has monster plants growing on a gumbo hill side....to get large plants you need large roots....to get large roots they need to be left undisturbed year after year....once established they are close to impossible to kill and a little bit of TLC produces great looking large plants. make sure they git some good sun and keep them watered and they should do fine.....my mom's only gets morning sun and she has large plants....mine only get late afternoon sun and i have large plants....my grandmothers get full sun all day and she has huge plants but that is likely due to them being well over 30 years old....

Sheridan S.
zone 3 or 4
northeast Montana