[NAFEX] Trouble in paradise? (apple tree)

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Mon Apr 28 01:14:05 EDT 2008

Steve,

I blew up your image and enhanced it and it sure looks like borer canals
running up and down the left side of the damaged area to me.  I might be
wrong, but I would still suspect borers caused the problem.  Once they bore
through the bark and begin entering the live tissue of the tree, that part
of the tree no longer takes up nutrients to the remainder of the tree.  The
leaves on that side of the tree will yellow and some die off due to lack of
nutrients.  In the spring, there isn't enough tissue to be fed yet, so
everything seems to be coming out.  Once the amount of tissue has been
produced that is greater than the nutrients being taken up, the leaves will
yellow and die off as you describe in your last paragraph.  I hope you are
right and it is not borers, but a trunk spray to protect the area won't hurt
and you could  also wrap the area with tree wrap to prevent borers from
attacking the area.  If they are not the culprit, you don't want to give
them any ideas!  Hope this helps!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com