[NAFEX] Himalayan blackberry

MARIE ASHTON bwoodtx at verizon.net
Thu Apr 24 22:14:03 EDT 2008

I might add a note about Oregon's Himalaya blackberry. Back in the late 1950s we had a farm in Oregon with a big 'patch' of these berries. Relatives visited and were impressed with the "wild" blackberries. We shipped my uncle in central Texas a good start of these "wild" plants. We figured that they needed lots of water so he put them out in an area that was the overflow from a natural spring. It stayed moist to moderately wet all year. They thrived and he had lots of berries. They stayed in the area that received the spring water and did not grow out into other areas. As he aged, he decided that he did not want to pick them any more and diverted the overflow water away. They all died within a year or two.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard
www.oakcreekorchard.com