[NAFEX] relative vigor of grafting wood

R F Hollaus hollaus at comcast.net
Tue Apr 22 11:51:10 EDT 2008

Alan,
Summer pruning has long been a method used to put a check in root
growth.  In turn a method to control top growth (ie. bonzai) is to
prune the roots.  I'm not a commercial grower with lots of experience
but I have managed to keep trees small using the summer pruning
method.
About your grafting;
The inconsistency of grafting your talking about could be related to
viruses present in one location and not the other.  The only thing I
know is that certain rootstocks need to be certified as virus free
before grafting them on the bench.  Quince 'C' is one I know for
sure.  Sam of Raintree nursery tells me that 'Gisela' cherry
rootstock is another but I'm sure the list goes on.
-Rupert -PNW zone 7-8
From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh at gmail.com>

Lee Reich's puzzling statement that recent research puts the theory that summer pruning is more dwarfing than dormant pruning on shaky ground inspired me to google Dr. Ferree to find corroboration.  Not finding anything supportive I have to assume that Lee was talking about the dwarfing affect on a single shoot, not the total tree, but I should probably wait to here from Lee.

What I did stumble on that might be of interest to NAFEX grafters is a statement Ferree made in one of his articles that an annual shoot has buds of varying quality and those buds on the base third or so are incompletely developed.  I've long been puzzled by the inconsistency of some of my grafting projects where 2/3rds of the sites I do grafting I get almost 90% success and another 3rd I'll get only 50%.  I wonder if it is related to using wood with poorly developed buds.  Anyone out there with more info on this?