[NAFEX] Himalayan blackberry

Betty Mayfield bmayfield at opusnet.com
Tue Apr 22 00:55:03 EDT 2008

Ernest,

Yes, I have had much experience here in northwest Oregon. My
next-door neighbor said that her grandmother planted it about 1919.
Since then it has spread to the wooded hill behind us both and down
onto my property, where I have to cut down and burn a huge pile of
long canes every year. And every year the 20-30-foot canes come right back.

The berries are big, but blah in flavor. If you want a berry almost
as good as the little wild blackberries, grow Cascade for pies and
jelly.  One thing, it is so juicy that I make little individual pies
instead of trying to slice a big one. That way everyone gets an equal
share of juice. Oh, yes, I serve them with a fork and a spoon to get
every drop of juice!

Betty Mayfield
on the Columbia River in Oregon