[NAFEX] Cut down apple trees?

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 09:55:36 EDT 2008

Another question is, how many seasons are these evaluations based on?  If
it's less than 3 I'd be very suspicious- last year was a rare low curculio
one over here in NY so I'd not base much on it.  It was also a low humid
summer.  Even if you are disappointed in the varieties that certainly is no
reason to cut them down.  If it's too late to graft new varieties this year,
lop off some large branches and stick some new wood on some selected water
sprouts next spring (easier for the beginner than cleft grafts and they grow
like a bat out of hell).   If they are on dwarf rootstock than you might
just replant if you don't mind the expense.