[NAFEX] Edible Acorns

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Sep 14 12:28:39 EDT 2007

At 10:39 AM 9/14/2007, Hector wrote:
>I agree with Donna.  Shelling acorns and chestnuts take about equal time
>(although you do get more from chestnuts because of greater size).
But Hector, if you can grow and ripen some of the Southern/Western
bur oak selections, I'd stack them up against the largest chestnuts
I've seen, and the acorns would come out the winner.  I've got one
selection, made from a tree on the campus of the vet school at Auburn
AL that runs in the neighborhood of 6-8 acorns per pound - with the
cap removed.  I've got some seedlings, grown from acorns sent by
friends in TX & OK that have acorns of similar size, if memory serves
correctly.
Most bur oak seedlings have started producing decent crops of acorns
by 10 years of age.  Heck, I've got grafted plums(Green Gage) and
pears older than that, that I'm still waiting to fruit.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY