[NAFEX] Edible Acorns

h black hblack1925 at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 14 11:39:58 EDT 2007

I agree with Donna.  Shelling acorns and chestnuts take about equal time
(although you do get more from chestnuts because of greater size).  The
flavor is wonderful.  We've used the acorn flour (once leached, the ground
nuts are dried on our wood stove) in bread, pancakes and to thicken soup.
If you don't reconsititute them with water the crunch in pancakes is great.
  These are white oak acorns.  Q, acutissima.  very productive annually
except this year due to the spring hard frost.  Hector Black zone 6 middle
TN