[NAFEX] Medlars as pest free fruit

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Wed Nov 21 20:39:12 EST 2007

In connection with the discussion on medlars a while back I've been
checking my own and those of a couple other sources and have noted that
around here in Oregon the fruits seem to be free of insect pests.  No
codling moth, no apple maggot or any other insect of pome fruits seems
to bother them.  That's probably related to the hard, astringent "non
bletted" flesh.  I'd like to hear from others growing medlars to know
if that holds true elsewhere.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.