[NAFEX] Apple Flavorings

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 20:33:09 EST 2007

I watched the discussion about Red Delicious and had a similar experience.  When I first encountered Red Delicious, I thought they tasted OK, but over time became increasingly disappointed.  I stopped buying them.

  While not discussed here, I also experienced much the same with Golden or Yellow Delicious which seem to be interchangable terms.

  I grew up with a golden/yellow apple which I believe was Grimes Golden, and it seems to me that this was the apple marketed as golden/yellow delicious during the early years.  Over time the marketed apple has shown softer texture, less russetting and thinner skin - and the taste has disappeared with the changes.

  Today at Sam's Club I saw that Mott's is marketing dried spiced hot cider mix with real juice content.  They are selling 4 different flavors, Original, and, you guessed it, Red Delicous and Golden Delicious, and Granny Smith.

  I guess they are finding a use for those Red and Golden Delicious apples that we are no longer buying.