[NAFEX] Grape vine attachments

Shirley Murphy samurphy at isp.com
Tue May 29 15:08:47 EDT 2007

My Catawba grape vine appears to be healthy but new leaves have 1/2cm long vertical soft budlike attachments on the upper surface.  Looking through a loupe they appear green with red streaks.   I cut one open to find that it is hollow inside.  No insect activity is apparent.  I have looked through some books including "The Grape Grower" and cannot find any such description.  I am located in SW Tennessee.  Does anyone have any  thoughts on what they might be and any suggestions of what if anything I should do?  If they are harmful I would like to control them with the least toxic means.  If they are beneficial I would like to encourage them.
Shirley Murphy