[NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Thu May 24 17:58:15 EDT 2007

Thanks for posting this.  Are they just sweet?  Any richness, complexity, or
tartness?  Did you make any preserves with them?  I had not given these a
try in case they were garden-yuckleberry-like.

~ Stephen

  _____

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Lon J. Rombough
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 11:46 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry

I have some Solanum burbankii, the Wonderberry, that is pleasantly sweet to
eat fresh, but it's messy to handle because the berries are soft and juice a
lot when picked. It self-seeds quite a bit and the seedlings regularly come
up early and they take a surprising amount of frost. I have a lot of them
already over 6 inches tall. They would be larger if they weren't crowded.
-Lon
http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best
Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com