[NAFEX] Deer

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Fri May 4 09:19:35 EDT 2007

On May 4, 2007, at 9:01 AM, Thomas Olenio wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the legal definition of “running deer”?  I would guess that it
> is indicative to hunters using dogs to run deer to exhaustion as part
> of the hunting process, not a dog chasing a deer away from crops.

I can't find the actual law right now; and have to go get something
else done.

The term however around here generally just means chasing. If somebody
says the neighbor's dogs were running his sheep, he doesn't mean that
the neighbor was out there instructing them to do so (though he may sue
the neighbor for damages, and/or shoot the dogs).

Even if the law does not so define this: if your neighbors think it
does, your dog may wind up just as dead.

This may well vary by area.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly