[NAFEX] Black Raspberry and freeze info

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 13:39:19 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

We have recieved a grant from the National Plant
Germplasm System and the Plant Exploration Office to
do some plant collecting in June and July from South
Carolina across northern Georgia, Alabama, and into
Tennessee as well as a second trip stretching from
Kansas City to Bismark, North Dakota.  The main focus
of this trip is going to be to collect fruit of wild
black raspberry (Rubus occidentalis) along the
southern and western edges of the range to evaluate
genetic diversity in wild populations as well as
general horticultural merit.  Collections will all go
to the National Clonal Germplasm Repository so it can
be accessed by researchers around the world.  In
addition to black raspberry we will be collecting wild
fragaria and vaccinium as we find them.

I'm hoping some of you on the list can provide me with
information regarding the status of these wild fruits
in the wake of the freeze Easter weekend.  I'm curious
how badly plants were affected and whether we'll be
able to collect fruit this season along this route.
In addition if anyone has information on specific
locations or general areas where they know these
plants are growing wild along these routes I would be
most appreciative.

Thanks for all your help,

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon