[NAFEX] pH question

JoanRRosenberg at aol.com JoanRRosenberg at aol.com
Tue May 1 21:57:52 EDT 2007

I have horses and do composting.  Never put fresh years horse manure into a
garden without digging it in thoroughly,  1 part manure to 3 parts soil.   Any
more than that there will be too much nitrogen and too acidic a venue.

You can counter the acid by use of garden lime, we use it to prevent smell in
stables and keep insects away.  The nitrogen must be balanced out by either
fertilizer or another organic item.

I make compost piles and age them for 2 to 3 years.  I put the Agway compost
bacteria on each pile, and the result is black topsoil, pure gold for veggies,
with no grubs but lots of earthworms.  I also use leaves in with the manure.
I lime it once and ignore it for a long time.  2 years later, I dig it out
and use it.