[NAFEX] To propagate Prunus Serotina

BekeeprTop at aol.com BekeeprTop at aol.com
Sat Mar 31 13:52:49 EDT 2007

Prunus Serotina is the cherry from which cherry furniture is made - it bears
a dark red or black cherry in racemes - the flavor is reminiscent of the
Luden's black cherry cough drops - saw the fresh logs and an intense almond smell
occurs.   It's a unique flavor, but its rare to find one bearing heavy, though
in Massachusetts the Prunus Serotina seedlings grow everywhere.    In 1999 I
found a good strain in the town of Harvard, Massachusetts and in particular a
7' seedling at the edge of an apple orchard just loaded.    I grafted it away
but I only ever had one graft take, a saddle graft.   Now I've got to graft it
away again as that property where I grafted it to is to be sold this year.
So I cut some scionwood and away we go again.   I only tried saddle grafts
before and I started chip budding yesterday.    I've got some Doc Farwell's
grafting seal and other wraps and will try various.
1]Does anyone know what temperature Prunus Serotina heals best at?
2] Professor Elwyn Meador grafted the central american form of Prunus
Serotina and finding it especially hard used a rooting hormone to achieve the graft.
 Anyone know more about that?   Any information about using rooting hormones
on hard-to-graft materials?
3] the word I hear on cherries is do them early; of course this cherry isn't
grafted often so who knows what typical cherry advice has to do with this
species.
Charlie Paradise