[NAFEX] Are GM Crops Killing Honeybees?

Lisa Almarode lisaalmarode at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 13:39:51 EDT 2007

Varroa mites are bad but beekeepers are dealing - the problem is
getting, slowly, under control.  This is new and very sudden.  But
native bees are not affected, I have heard.  I have lots of other
bugs besides honeybees in my flowers.  I don't think pollination is
at an end... although things like commerical almond farming could
take a huge hit.

--- Anton Callaway <marillen at earthlink.net> wrote:

> It is highly unlikely that GM crops are harming honeybees.  Honeybees
> are always included in extensive studies of potential impact of each
> GM cultivar.  If there is a negative impact on bees, the cultivar
> would be destroyed and never released.
>
> The real threat to honeybees in the US and Europe is the imported
> Varroa mite.  It is devastating.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall