[NAFEX] Effect of pollen on fruit

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Fri Mar 23 08:15:48 EDT 2007

    Some time ago, someone mentioned that when cross pollinating a flower
with pollen from a different species, that the attributes of the pollinator
do not show up in the fruit.  My squash would not agree with that:  One of
my Chersonskaya Squash produced a female flower with no male flowers to
pollinate it so I cross pollinated it with Sweet Dumpling Squash pollen.
    All of my Chersonskaya Squash produced their normal green fruits except
for the one pollinated with Sweet Dumpling which produced a white fruit.
The white fruit contained white seeds whereas all of the other seed is
brown.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472