[NAFEX] mulberries

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Wed Mar 21 20:57:01 EDT 2007

> Yasi, Whitman Farms in Salem, Ore., sells Geraldi Dwarf mulberry as well as a number of other mulberry cultivars.  See
> http://www.whitmanfarms.com/ProductList.asp?ProductCategoryID=15
>
> I've found this nursery very reliable. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.

But there's no indication of what zones these mulberries are recommended
for. When I was looking for mulberries for zone 5, they were friendly
enough, but they didn't know which varieties would work for me. I
believe I was interested in Oscar's, but I ended up getting another
Illinois Everbearing, since I knew that one would be hardy here.

One thing I do like about Whitman Farms, though, is that their
descriptions seem honest. With many nurseries, everything they sell is
the best ever. It's hard to choose a variety when they're ALL supposed
to be perfect. But check out some of the descriptions of gooseberries at
Whitman Farms: "horrible mildew," "fairly bland red berries," "small to
medium berries but not very many of them," etc.  Yeah, they've got
better descriptions, too - they sell a LOT of varieties - but I feel
like I can trust a place that tells the bad along with the good.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5a)

--
Any community's arm of force - military, police, security - needs people
in it who can do necessary evil, and yet not be made evil by it. To do