[NAFEX] zone 5 mulberries

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Mar 21 12:36:18 EDT 2007

Then, Tom wrote:
>The weeping varieties were selected for "landscaping" purposes, not
>fruiting.  Just as columnar oaks were bred for growth habit, not acorns.

I've had some reasonably tasty berries from some weeping selections -
probably 'Teas Weeping'.
But!  If you're going to plant a weeper, you'll need to be certain
that you're getting a fruiting(female) selection, which may require
ordering from a nursery which propagates edibles.  The vast majority
of the weeping mulberries in the 'landscape' trade are non-fruiting
(male) cultivars, like 'Chaparral'.

Lucky