[NAFEX] Landscape advice

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 12:44:49 EDT 2007

Ginda,
Grape holly (Mahonia) a Pac NW native, does well in total shade, blooms in
Feb march, has purple fruits.  Have read of making jam from the fruit; there
may be some selections that are better fruited.  Perhaps someone on the list
(Lon?) knows of one.  The few I have tasted have a bitter aftertaste, have
never cooked the fruit.

We put two in planters where I work, north side of large building with holly
trees on either side of planters, so never direct sun.  These Mahonia have
grown well always evergreen, yellow blooms on top, purple fruit in spring.
Easy to prune if they get too tall or leggy, as very few stems.

Richard Moyer
East TN, Zone
Nanking cherries, Chaenomeles quince blooming