[NAFEX] black raspberry help

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 13:58:05 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

Some of you may recall a message I posted last year
around this time asking for help collecting fruit from
wild black raspberries (Rubus occidentalis) in the
eastern US and Canada.  Many of you responded and sent
us fruit from which I extracted the seeds and am
growing seedlings in the greenhouse right now.  While
this project is in its infancy, we are already excited
about some of our preliminary findings.

Because of this success and because there are still
large areas from which we have no germplasm, I am once
again asking for help collecting seed from wild
populations of black raspberry.  We are screening the
seedlings for insect and disease resistance traits as
well as assessing genetic diversity in wild
populations.  Any seed left over will then go to the
National Clonal Germplasm Repository here in
Corvallis, Oregon which stores Rubus germplasm and
makes it available to interested researchers around
the world.

If you are interested in helping with this project or
would like to learn more please contact me at
phainopepla at yahoo.com or dossettm at hort.oregonstate.edu

Thanks!

Michael Dossett

Michael Dossett