[NAFEX] peach thinning

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Fri Jun 8 12:44:19 EDT 2007

When and how to thin peaches depends upon variety and time of maturity. Thin
the early-ripening varieties earlier and more heavily than the late-maturing
varieties. For early varieties, peaches grow rapidly at first, then seem to
cease growing for about two weeks. For late-maturing varieties, they seem to
cease growing for about four weeks. This is called "pit hardening" and
occurs while the seeds are maturing. Thin early-maturing varieties at any
time from full bloom to three weeks later. Hand thinning should be done in
mid-June to a spacing of one peach to every six to eight inches of twig.
Make sure the peaches you leave are getting plenty of sunlight.  We usually
use 1 x 6 boards with a v cut in the top of the board to prop our heavily
laden branches up.  Peach wood is pretty soft and the branches will bend
quite a bit without hurting the tree.  What you have to look for is the
stress being put on the crotch of the branch where it meets the trunk.
Stress cracks can develop in this location and cause the branch to split off
or will allow disease to enter the trunk area.  Always support a branch with
a weak crotch so the weight of the peaches will not cause it to open up.
Hope this helps!

mid-June to a spacing of one peach to every 6 to 8 inches of twigmid-June to
a spacing of one peach to every 6 to 8 inches of twigDennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com