[NAFEX] What's (problematically) compatible with pear?

dwoodard at becon.org dwoodard at becon.org
Thu Jan 18 12:27:11 EST 2007

Since Hans seems to have tried to produce an exhaustive list
of rootstocks for sweet cherry:

I think it was in the 1970's that East Malling station in England did some
work on using Prunus dropmoreana as a rootstock for sweet cherries
P. dropmoreana is the result of a complex cross among P cerasus, P.
fruticosa, and P. maacki (if memory serves), originated at Dropmore,
Manitoba (I think in the 1930's) by Frank Skinner, the well-known Canadian
plant breeder and nurseryman. My memory of the article in one of their
annual reports is that they tried a number of clones with varying success,
but they seemed hopeful at the time. I don't recollect what the
attraction was to East Malling but P. dropmoreana is very cold-hardy.
I wonder if it is adaptable to different soils in a way that neither
P. avium or P. mahaleb are.

P. dropmoreana is sometimes sold as an ornamental on the Canadian
prairies. I think it reproduces from seed but I am not absolutely sure of
this.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada