[NAFEX] Ammonium vs. Nitrate

reveland at bresnan.net reveland at bresnan.net
Tue Jan 16 18:41:46 EST 2007

The article referenced said that ammonium makes tomatoes taste better than
ammonium nitrate makes them taste when the choice of fertilizers is either
A: Ammonium or B: Ammonium Nitrate. Now I am looking to buy some Ammonium as
referenced in the article. What I want to know is where can I purchase some
Ammonium (not Ammonium Nitrate). Does it come in 40 lb. bag or maybe in a 10
ounce bottle at the nearest K-Mart. In the article they talk about ammonium
as if it is something that can be readily purchased. I was thinking perhaps
they are using anhydrous ammonia, but anhydrous ammonia is a dangerous
chemical that is not used to fertilize already growing crops in a field, but
rather is applied at planting time. It could however be used in a hydroponic
setup although anhydrous in pure form always presents a danger to the
applicator (boiling point is -28 C. and it is highly corrosive). What form
of Ammonium do you suppose they used in the article.

Rodney Eveland