[NAFEX] Aronia x Sorbus ; Sorbus domestica

Hans Brinkmann hans-brinkmann at t-online.de
Sun Jan 7 11:40:01 EST 2007

Hallo Doug,
the common Sorbus aucuparia is containing Parasorbinacid.
This makes the fruits very bitter. It is considered little poisonous
(LD_50 - 750 mg/kg for mouse).
But it is converted completely  by cooking into Sorbinacid.
S. aucuparia varieties/hybrids for consumption are not bitter and do not
contain this Parasorbinacid.
S. domestica is not containing this Parasorbinacid (sometimes stated as
little carcinogen).

Elderberries are also poisonous, before they are cooked.

S. aucuparia is distributed till Finland and Siberia. Small berries.
Berries must be picked.
S.domestica is distributed naturally from the middle of Germany till
Kaukasus and Krim.
Large berries like little apples or pears. 300 to 500kg per (old) tree.
Easy harvest - collecting from ground.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Sorbus+domestica
http://www.iec.es/institucio/societats/ICHistoriaNatural/Bages/roureda/Imatges%20grans/oller_9.htm

Hans Brinkmann