[NAFEX] Bill's choices, Actinidia kolomicta

dwoodard at becon.org dwoodard at becon.org
Sun Jan 7 00:09:56 EST 2007

I was thinking of a high north wall, as of a house. I suspect that a white
wall would be best.

I have *read* that A. kolomikta will fruit in part shade, such as when
grown up a not too densely leafy tree, and even prefers a little shade
(I think this may have come from the Canadian prairies, which usually get
a fair amount of sun, more than southern Ontario).

I recollect Robert Nitschke's statement that English Morello (sour cherry)
grown on a north wall  gave fruits "of a size and quality unobtainable in
full sun." He didn't say whether it gave as many fruits. I would be
inclined to doubt it.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada