[NAFEX] Aronia x Sorbus ; Sorbus domestica

Hans Brinkmann hans-brinkmann at t-online.de
Fri Jan 5 17:46:47 EST 2007

Hallo Matt,
in general all the Aronia x Sorbus x Hybrids are 2 to 5m tall.
All berries looking more like Sorbus berries, but each have different size,
color, juice and taste.
Edible Sorbus aucuparia  like  e.g. Konzentra or  Rossina or Klosterneuburg
are important e.g for marmalade production in Europe since a long time.

Aronia x Sorbus hybrids fruits are at   http://www.biotaimi.fi/
Then go to Pihlaja and finally to Pihlaja kasvatus-ja hoito - ohje
Information after clicking the first Pihlaja photo.

Nice page about Shipova : http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/cool/sorbo.html

Do you know Sorbus domestica? It has 2 - 3 cm apple- or pear-shape fruits.
Some old trees in Germany have logs of more than 1 m in diameter.
The wood is one of the most highly priced wood in Germany.
Fruits are a must for the apple-wine-production.
We have some cultivars in Germany.

Ciao
hans