[NAFEX] spinosad as sole insecticide

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Tue Feb 27 12:21:43 EST 2007

We do not usually use Spinosad (Spintor) here at Royal Oak Farm because it
does not provide adequate protection from certain other pests such as CM
(codling moth), PC(plum curculio), OFM (oriental fruit moth) and other minor
pests.  It does provide protection for LM (leaf miners) and LR (leaf
rollers) on apples and GBM (grape berry moth) on grapes and can work as part
of an overall program.  I would not use it or any other pesticide as sole
protection for a spraying program.  You have to be concerned with resistance
buildup among your pests if that chemical is used all season long.  It is
much better to rotate your chemicals with each spray if possible and do as
few sprays as possible using a chemical that has broader protection (effects
as many pests as possible) than to spray for each individual pest. I would
recommend purchasing a copy of the Michigan Fruit Management Guide for 2007.
It is one of the best available and can be adapted for most states.  It is
available as a free download (4M) at
http://web1.msue.msu.edu/pestpubs/E154/.  It has the best pest guide charts
available for several fruits as well as cross reference tables for the
effectiveness of products on certain pests.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com