[NAFEX] Fuyu persimmons

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Feb 16 14:06:45 EST 2007

I've got Hana Fuyu here, as well as Ichi, and grafted Jiro, Izu, and
Matsumoto Wase Fuyu in 2006, as well as a number of astringent D.kaki
selections..
No fruit on Hana Fuyu or Ichi yet - but this will be their third
season, so I'm hopeful for a small crop.
Seems like I recall Richard Moyer saying that Hana Fuyu works well
for him up there in the mountains of east TN.

All my persimmons are on seedling D.virginiana rootstock; I try to
put the grafts on at least 3 ft above ground level anymore, as
several years ago, I had grafts of several D.kaki varieties, grafted
low - 4-12 inches above soil surface - that died out over their first
winter - I presume they froze out.   High-worked grafts seem to fare
better for me.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7