[NAFEX] new hardiness zone map; mistake

ethan roland eroland at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 12:32:07 EST 2007

Actually, the Arbor Day Foundation released an updated hardiness zone
map in 2004, and then again more recently in 2006 - I learned about
both from HortIdeas (which is an excellent publication that y;all
should look into - $15 for a year!
http://users.mikrotec.com/~gwill/hi-index.htm)

I agree with someone's earlier comment that your specific microclimate
is important in understanding the 'hardiness' of any plant -- But
these new hardiness zone maps are an incredible snapshot of the
changing climate we live in. I use these maps whenever I teach --
especially the 'Zone Changes' map is an amazing visual representation
of what is happening.

HOWEVER, I would like to draw everyone's attention to what I believe
is a mistake in the NADF maps. I'll include below a longer email I
sent to NADF, but basically, on the 'Zone Changes' map they have
colored southeastern MA + cape cod as a '+2' area. On more careful
inspection (and looking at some older USDA maps), I think there was a
mistake in coloring on the 1990 map which led to an error in the
overall changes map.

Take a look at the email below... I was able to talk to some folks at
NADF, but no changes have been made yet. If you agree that this could
be a mistake, I encourage you to get in touch with the NADF and ask
them to make some adjustments changes -- I would like this valuable
resource to be as credible as possible!

Cheers,
Ethan

National Arbor Day Foundation -

--
Ethan C. Roland
(518) 610-1375

AppleSeed Permaculture
Design - Teach - Advise
www.appleseedpermaculture.com

Northeastern Permaculture Wiki
www.northeasternpermaculture.wikispaces.com

8th International Permaculture Conference, Brazil, 2007
www.ipc8.org

" You can count the number of seeds in an apple, but you can't count
the number of apples in a seed" - proverb via Paul Krafel