[NAFEX] Layering not

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Feb 1 10:18:56 EST 2007

Years ago there was product sold that looked like very heavy black
rubber tape with grains of coarse sand on the outside.  You were
supposed to remove a ring of bark from a shoot and wrap the girdled
area with the tape.  After a few months there was a large callus under
the tape and you cut off the shoot just below that and planted it.  The
callus would produce roots very quickly and grow.  I had some and used
it on a number of plants, some of which are still growing here after
nearly 40 years.  However, none of what I used the tape on was
especially hard to root from cuttings, so I don't know if it was really
effective or not.
The actual method you are describing sounds like a modification of air
layering.  Air layering was a method used before grafting was common to
reproduce favorite apple and pear trees, and it certainly would work on
quince.  In those times a clay pot was used.  A shoot was fed through
the drainage hole and cut or partly girdled, then the pot was filled
with soil.  The wound made callus and rooted more readily so that by
the end of the season the shoot was rooted and could be cut loose as a
small potted tree.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For growing supplies and more;  http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com