[NAFEX] Layering not

rmelrose at danvilleVT.net rmelrose at danvilleVT.net
Thu Feb 1 09:58:03 EST 2007

I have a `have you ever tried' question. Somewhere, unfortunately I do not
remember where, I read about a modified layering technique. Basically the
claim was that if one wraps a small branch (I think preferably low down) on
a woody plant in foil for a season it (so light is excluded but so that it
does grow out of the tip) it tends to revert to a juvenile state and can
then be rooted much more readily than a straight Fall hardwood cutting. This
certainly has a name which I have also forgotten.

As I say, has anyone actually tried this as a way to produce own-rooted
trees? I was thinking of trying it on quinces -- as an alternative to
grafting them.

Richard