[NAFEX] Calville blanc? Chroncel?

Dianne Ste;phany iluvdanc at rochester.rr.com
Thu Dec 27 12:33:01 EST 2007

Hi
I just got my Seeds of Change catalogue and they have afew heritage apple trees offered.  The Cox Orange Pippin and the Calville Blanc caught my eyes.

Anyone have any experience with Calville Blanc?   It sounds very similar to a Chroncel -color, sweet, high vitamin C -except that I remember Chroncel as being an early apple and this says that it matures "very late".  Does "very late" put it in the same category as Granny Smith?  I didn't know that about Granny Smith when I planted it for my husband, and we have  gotten only a very few ripe apples, and fire blight loves this tree.

Thank you all for a great year of information and discussion- I love reading the posts.

Dianne Stephany, zone 5
Rochester NY -- catalogue browsing and winter dreaming.