[NAFEX] Fireblight lesions on trunk

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Mon Dec 24 14:27:04 EST 2007

Betsy,

If there is bacterium within the canker, it will be dark in color, sometimes almost orangish brown, and you can see where it has effected the cambium tissue.  Cut out all of the dark cambium tissue until you see new cambium tissue that is unaffected.  It is best if you don't cut to the heartwood, but sometimes it may be necessary.  If you can get some Lac Balsam to coat the wound after cutting out the bacterium and them wrap the area with tree wrap, that would be best.  You can find Lac Balsam at http://www.treerx.com/ and Tree Wrap at  http://www.gemplers.com/product/G40503/TreeWrap.  Burlap tree wrap will also work.  These allow the wound to breath and dry out.  I have used black electrical tape for grafting and repairing splits in branches, but would not use it in this case because it does not allow the wound to breath as does the tree wrap.  Hope this helps!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com