[NAFEX] NAFEX] Grafting prunus (as opposed to budding)

Clifford Cain cc_syorks at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 17:57:28 EST 2007

I have to say that my budding success is poor, but grafts close to 100%.  I had a Stella cherry for planting at a local primary school and took a piece of wood off it, the buds had burst.  I whip and tongue grafted it onto Colt rootstock and it sulked.  The buds died back yet I see that there 3ft new wood was made.

I was passed a copy of a book by William Lawson - A new Orchard and Garden (ISBN 1903018102)  written in 1618.  If is a facsimile edition - the s's appear as f's so you have to have the correct mindset when reading.  It is amazing what they new about grafting back then - how little has changed since.  I would go further - they were more adventurous that we are. Lets face it the books would as no to grafting an actively growing scion, yet they did as a routine.

It never ceases to please me to see the standard text book rules being challenged and shown that Nature will prevail.

Clifford Cain
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, UK