[NAFEX] Rose Hips

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Sun Dec 16 11:24:50 EST 2007

Stephan Sadler wrote:  "Use the rose hips for jelly and tea, on its own or
with black or herb tea.  Rose hip syrup is nice, too; I like it with
sparkling water.  Maybe a little  bourbon. it's an old Vitamin-C tonic,
that.  The syrup, not the bourbon"

Stephen,
    Here, at Brambleberry Farm, we make alot of rose hip syrup.  When we had
our lab tests done so we could list contained nutrients on the label, we
were surprised at the amount of Vitamin C in the Rose Hip syrup, "nearly
negligible."  Apparently the boiling that is necessary to leach the flavor
out of the hips destroys most of the Vitamin C.  It still tastes fantastic
but not quite the amount of Vitamin C that we hoped for?
    Have you tried our Sweet Sumac syrup yet?  Sumac syrup has a taste that
resembles a citrus and is one of our better sellers.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: