[NAFEX] First Fruit: Cornus Mas

drosehngs1 at juno.com drosehngs1 at juno.com
Sun Aug 26 03:30:46 EDT 2007

In my opinion, they're better if they ripen for 2 or 3 days after they are picked (blet?).

Have both a red & a yellow fruited variety-I think the yellow tastes better (almost a banana like flavor when soft).

George
Delaware zone 7a

-- Ginda Fisher <list at ginda.us> wrote:
Today I noticed two fruits on one of my Cornus Mas.  I didn't think
that tree even flowered, so it was a pleasant surprise.  (The other
one had a lot of flowers.)  I ate one, and it was clearly underripe -
hard and very sour, but not too bad.  The other one was slightly
redder, but also hard to the touch.

How can I tell when it is ripe?

I'm tempted to just pick the fruit now, before some critter gets it,
but it would be neat to get it to ripen.

thanks,
Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass., zone 6

No exceptions.