[NAFEX] Meader Persimmon

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Mar 23 10:57:23 EST 2006

Meader may bear seedless fruit in some areas, but Jim Claypool and I
debated on this a long time.  I have Meader (from Prof. Meader, so I
know it's true to name) and mine will set seedless fruit, but so will
many others on my place that aren't close to males.  Jim had heard that
chestnut pollen would stimulate development of seedless persimmon
fruit, and I do have several chestnuts on my place.  The rub is that
the chestnuts usually don't shed pollen until after the persimmons have
bloomed.
My own conclusion is that there is something about the climate during
bloom here that stimulates set of seedless fruit.  Oh yes, the Meader
did produce a male limb one time and the fruit was seeded with it on
the tree.
	My Meader tree was topworked to a mature tree, rather than having been
planted as a new tree, and took about three years to bear.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.