[NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.)

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 06:13:05 EST 2006

Hello all,

On the 1991 Russian Institute of Plant Industry (VIR) / NAFEX exchange trip
we saw some Sea Buckthorn. Jim Gilbert & Hector Black are very experienced with
this.

There may be a computer data base of cultivar information in the Russian
language on varieties. While there I was given (the others on the trip may also
have same) a booklet written by Maria Pleckenhova (now deceased) titled "List of
Descriptors for Hippophae rahamnoides L."  The introduction says "The present
list of descriptors has been designed to unify the described characteristics
of Hippophae rahamnoides L.  for the accumulation, storing, and processing
data in computerized data bases."

The 24 page booklet in Russian and English contains no varietal information.
I have no use for this booklet and would be happy to gift it to anyone
actively working with sea buckthorn who may have access to such a data base or wished
to record such using existing protocol. Although I'd imagine such a data base
would be accompanied by the descriptors. I thought I had a booklet of their
varieties, but can't find it right now.

Jerry