[NAFEX] Partridgeberry

John Barbowski jbarbowski at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 12:12:51 EST 2006

While on a trip to Newfoundland, I stayed at a B&B. For the morning
breakfast, the host brought out about 20 various jams made from the local
flora. The next half hour was spent sampling and comparing. Partridgeberry
was one of the better ones. It was tarty but had a background sweetness.
Cranberry flavour would be a close comparative. We liked it so much, we
raided the local markets to bring some back to Ontario.

The comercial jams (made locally) were both pure and mixtures - apples being
the main ingredient other than Pberry.

Upon investigation, it was found to be a vaccinium. *V. vitis-idaea* can be
used to make juice, sauce preserves, jelly, candy, wine liqueurs and a
variety of other things.

jb