[NAFEX] Heritage Raspberries in Georgia

mauch1 at aol.com mauch1 at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 10:32:14 EST 2006

Welcome Melinda!

I can't say what is wrong with your raspberries, but you could be right
that the heat's too much.  You could also have gotten a diseased
selection raspberries.  If you want to keep trying with them, I suggest
keeping them irrigated and mulched (mulch to keep the roots cooler and
moist.).  Don't compare blackberry flowers too much to red raspberries.
They're similar, but blackberry flowers are far more showy.

According to Stark's catalog red raspberries are rated to zone 8 and
Raintree rates them to zone 9.  So you should have been OK.
Stark: http://starkbros.com/access?action=category&categoryID=3&currentPage=2
Raintree: http://raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=RASP

You might want to contact Georgia's Extension Service.  I found this
article by them, but I don't think it considers some of the latest varieties:
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubs/PDF/C766.pdf

I also found what appears to be an excellent article from Noth Carolina:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/pdf/ag-569.pdf or
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag569.html

I think I came across a reference sometime back about a red raspberry bred
for the south.  The closest I could find was a mention of a variety "Southland".

Good exploring!

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W