[NAFEX] grafting apples

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Thu Apr 13 21:04:58 EDT 2006

I planted three baby apple trees last spring.  One is a golden russet
on G30, which I bought because I wanted to try out G30, and that was
what was available.  (A single tree is cheaper than a bundle of
rootstock, and besides, I find it hard to throw live plants away.)
So I'd like to graft some Karmijn onto that tree.  I was thinking I'd
try budding this summer.  Any advice would be welcome, including
"don't do it, graft a branch", or "G30 is ultrasensitive to viruses
and you shouldn't mess with it", or just suggestions as to the best
time of year and technique.

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass., zone 6
where an abnormally warm dry spring has the crabs showing flower buds
and the eating apples in green tip already.